Today’s employees are more demanding. And that’s not all bad news for your business. Having a team that actually want to improve, that ask for coaching and training, that are motivated to grow their skills in order to perform better.. well, that’s the kind of person you want on your side. If they aren’t asking for help to improve, why not?
Sales teams in particular need input. To maintain motivation, try new techniques, tweak their processes, step back and look at what they’re doing and if it’s reaping the right rewards – that’s going to bring benefits to your organisation.
Thoughts for you:
- if you don’t develop your sales team’s skills they may be losing leads, or not growing key accounts
- if you don’t develop any staff, they won’t feel valued
- if you invest in developing them, they are more likely to stay (preventing staff churn and recruitment costs)
- if you aren’t injecting fresh motivation into your sales team, how are they expected to be performing at their peak?
- if they do what they’ve always done, without check, how do you know it’s the best way?
- if training and coaching were to help them close bigger deals – would it be worth the cost?
- if your sales team aren’t given space to discuss and develop, how can they improve?
- if your sales team aren’t communicating well with other departments to improve customer experience, are you missing out on referrals and repeat business?
- do you want to be a company that invests in their staff, their development? Do you want to attract top talent to your teams?
- if you want to grow your revenue, grow your team.
I understand there are some concerns with training.
Getting everyone in the same room!
Yes – that can be very tricky, especially when the team is geographically spread. However, it is possible, and have you considered virtual training?
Time away from the day job.
A day or two of training is always time well spent. Staff return with new techniques, skills and ideas. They are fired up, creative, motivated. But yes, the day job still needs to be done. Perhaps arrange training in smaller groups so cover can be arranged. Or, again, bite-size training virtually would take them away for two hour slots, which is more manageable.
Good sales training doesn’t have to cost the earth. In person or virtual training is hugely affordable – how many new sales, or larger deals would you need to cover it? Usually just a handful. Plus investment in your team is a group expense, the cost per person is low.
Who to pick
You do need to choose a trainer that fits. You can get off-the-shelf training of course, or you can have it tailored to your exact needs. Maybe you don’t know your exact needs? Then ask the trainer to speak to your team, to find out the blocks, skill gaps and needs. As standard, No Fluff conducts short chats with team members before training, it’s interesting what comes up and we can weave it into the sessions (anonymously, often!). There are some great sales trainers out there. But we like to think we have some of the best in No Fluff. We match your need to the best trainer amongst our associates. If we don’t think we have the skills within our team we will pass you on to another company that might.
And what might you want training on? You’re not sure where to start?
As I said, we tailor our training, but often these are areas to look at:
- sales process mapping
- improving conversion rates
- maintaining motivation
- consultative selling
- closing techniques
- bringing up price, negotiation
- developing new accounts/clients
- sales messaging and its relationship with the marketing team
- questioning techniques
- customer experience mapping
- remote team management
- strategy building
- sales activity data and goals
- improving referrals, rebookings and creating evangelists
- sales for the non-salesy or role-juggler
These are just a few for the sales folk themselves. I love to see sales teams improve performance, but I love to see them fired up and enjoying their work more. Everyone should feel valued, keep learning and enjoy their time at work. And when they feel that way, it pays dividends for your company. So if you’re not developing your team, why not?
For a chat about training (or any of our other services) just book a chat on www.nofluff.as.me or drop us a line.